I tell you, they are wrong about many things : politics, art, food, music, philosophy, family, travel, relationships, love, values, sex and wrong about you. They invent and project from their perspective a narrative of you, then you get caught trying to defend yourself . How does this happen?
You see, I am a self-declared early adopter. I look for new technologies and jump right in to use them. Early adopters dare to explore and invent ways to use the internet. Early adopters look for the toys the clever developers give them and get on the wave for a ride. Early adopters go with the fluidity of the medium and don’t mind the initial glitches. Word is that we are only about 13% of the internet world.
Some people look for fashions, we look for new uses of the technology. My Guccis and Dolce Cabanas are geeky boys and girls who design pretty techno gadgets and clever ways to use the gadgets. My Coco Channel is Steve Jobs. Also, I don’t think that Apple like Channel will lose the brand if Steve is gone.
Early adopters have learned that there is a cycle to platforms, applications and technologies they use. At first it’s fun. Early adopters populate the place willing to live with glitches, break barriers and explore. After about two years, the regular users, aka the laggards, move in and change the landscape. They bust down the doors and of course, they disdain the early adopters. They find them elitist, cliquish, ornery. The oddity is that they were attracted to the place because the early adopters made it interesting. Soon, they make the new place ordinary, regular and dull.
In blogging platforms , they bring along the heap of musty thinking and writing. They bring what they call their common people touch. A set of avuncular men and dotting women create a vicious circle. There is particular distaste for the early adopter woman. The mediocre conventional male despises women who dare to be early adopters. The mediocre conventional female, joins with the mediocre men to gain favor as not being a particularly threatening woman. So, they create a circle that is flirtatious and malignant. Nothing with mediocre, but sorry, not my cup of internet.
They start calling women who are outspoken, “mean girls“. Once you get branded a “mean girl”, they give themselves permission to dehumanize you. The typical idiot will say that the mean girl “hates men”. In truth, mean girls like me hate banal, unthinking and lazy people. Mean girls catch you when you are not consistent. When you copy and paste internet urban myths as original material. When you are a plagiarist. When you manipulate the people who obviously have emotional issues with pandering and lies.
Soon you start recognizing the psychological pathologies. The pathologies create a mutual sustaining society. For each pathology there is a corresponding pathology that feeds itself from another.
- You watch as the bipolar obsessive is cajoled by the needy lonely avuncular.
- The manic hysteric is mothered by the “good ladies” league, given hugs, and “support”.
- The narcissist seduces the meek.
- There is one particular type that I cannot find a name for, typically a male. The male who feels that all the women and minorities took his birthright to the dominance of American society and to the gifts of that society. Most often, he will often quote the Federalist papers. The ladies think he is smart.
- The martyred woman. She suffers and talks about her suffering. The lonely man is looking for a martyr, so he gobbles up the tales of woe.
- The ladies man. He can say they same shitty things a mean girl says, but he is loved by the ladies and avuncular for being a dragon slayer.
- The guy who wants to be Art Buchwald and the woman who wants to be Irma Bombeck.
- Then you have the psychotic who smears and others cheer. ” The world is filled with predators and pederasts” she warns. The chorus joins in and they follow the smears, the booking pictures and tawdry tales The crusader. A crusader I tell you, a crusader who along the way tarnishes everyone’s experience. The obsessed mono topic crusader. Posting gibberish and gossip. Now you get it, there is a Nancy Grace audience. Blech.
In time, the early adopters leave. The landscape becomes soiled with the voices and people they were trying to avoid. I recently stuck it out at Open Salon thinking that I could buck the cycle. I lost my early adopter mojo. It felt like I was rotting intellectually. I became captive to the small bandwidth of toxic spew and missed all the cool new things that are being developed by the clever geeky boys and girls. In defending myself I lost myself.
My advice, never stay in a platform for more than two years. It’s why the Brits make good television. They end the run before it becomes stale , like let’s say : Everybody Loves Raymond. No, no. As a card-carrying early adopter, I don’t want to be loved by everybody. Everybody is who I am avoiding via the internet.